Thursday, June 18, 2009

YOU IS WHAT YOU IS AND YOU AIN’T WHAT YOU AIN’T!

In all my sojourn and journeying on the road to discovery, of myself that is, I have come to find out that I am not like others of my kind.
I am not your average female, not your typical demography, not your stereotype daughter or sister, not your off-the-rack friend, not your everyday born-again Christian and definitely not your run-of-the-mill African Woman.
So I don’t enjoy the same things others of my kind do, so I don’t go the way people like me are supposed to , so I don’t like what they like, I don’t act like them either, so what?
Does it make me different? Definitely
Does it make me a freak? I don’t think so, but that is mostly dependent on your definition on ‘freak’.
Of course, it means I’m unique, special, human, a female human specie exercising the God- bestowed right of free will and capability of choosing what I see fit.
From when I can remember, my siblings, family and even friends have called me an Oreo, saying I do not behave like or belong to the typical African setting ( saying I think more kindly towards the White man’s perception in most things). I’ve searched myself and I’ve realized my mentality/ideal is not typically western so I know I don’t fit in entirely into the ‘western’ setting either.
I choose to be who I choose to be fully guided by the Holy Spirit and my conscience (even though I must admit I’m somewhat of a rebel against silly rules and senseless traditions) and if that means I do not fit into any set ‘mould’. So be it.
Living life and loving it. No regrets, knowing it’s what I really wanna do and how I really wanna be. It’s fine by me.

2 comments:

Roc said...

Comfortable in your own skin..
A phase in life that lesser mortals aspire for..

Miss M said...

You know eh?!